This Gluten Free Butternut Squash Soup is one of my favorite soup recipes, and it’s brimming with delicious fall flavour.
I kept the ingredients list simple so the squash flavor can shine through, but the end result offers exceptionally rich flavor. A little bit of butter rounds out the flavour and makes it truly irresistible, without weighing down the soup like heavy cream tends to do. (You can substitute olive oil for a vegan soup.)
This soup really doesn’t need a garnish, but feel free to add a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper or some coconut cream for some extra visual appeal.
The butternut squash is rich in Vitamins A and C plus potassium. Just 100 grams of this autumn squash has over 200% of your daily value of Vitamin A. Full-fat coconut cream adds a richness to this Butternut Squash Soup, plus a boost of healthy fats. If you can’t do coconut cream for some reason, substitute with any non-dairy milk of your choice. I think cashew milk would be delicious in this.
This Gluten Free Butternut Squash Soup is one of my favorites to make-ahead and then freeze. Stored properly, it’ll last for up to 6 months in the freezer.
- 2 tbsp spreadable butter
- 2 small onions peeled, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves peeled, finely chopped
- 1 kg butternut squash, peel, scoop out the seeds and strings, cut in large chunks
- 2 small carrots peeled, roughly sliced
- 3 cup reduced-salt vegetable stock
- ½ cup coconut cream
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- Melt butter in a large non-stick pan over a medium heat.
- Cook onion and garlic for 3 minutes until fragrant stirring occasionally.
- Add butternut squash pieces, carrots slices. Give a good stir, cover and cook for 2 more minutes until fragrant
- Add the vegetable stock, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetable pieces are soft and tender.
- Blend soup to a smooth consistency using an immersion stick blender. Season to taste. Serve with a spoonful of coconut cream, cracked black pepper