What’s not to love about this Gluten Free Chilli Con Carne recipe, it tastes delicious, it’s cheap and simple to make, it’s one of your five-a-day, it freezes so you can make a big batch and save some for another day.
Known as just “Chili” in the US, Chilli Con Carne is a classic recipe that everyone should know! It’s made with beef cooked in tomato flavoured broth with cinnamon, cumin and chilli powder.
Even better it goes well with so much, served on rice, in a baked potato, with cornbread, a nachos topping and even tossed through pasta.
So yes it looks like Bolognese. Same colour, same saucy consistency, same rich red sauce. But the flavour is very different. Chilli Con Carne starts the same way as Bolognese but is flavoured with a handful of spices including cinnamon, cumin and chilli. So it might look like Bolognese, but it tastes nothing like it.
Also for those that are curious, “Chilli Con Carne” is pronounced Chilli Con Carney!
- 500g Minced Beef
- 1 Onion, Chopped and diced
- 2 Garlic cloves, Minced
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 Tin Kidney Beans
- 1 Beef Stock Cube
- Oil to fry
- Salt & Pepper
- Fry onion and garlic with a little Oil for 5 minutes on medium heat in a large casserole dish or saucepan.
- Add the Chilli Powder, Cumin, Cinnamon and Minced Beef, fry until the Minced Beef has browned.
- Stir in the Chopped Tomatoes, Tomato Puree, Oregano, Stock Cube and Salt and Pepper.
- Top the chilli up with some boiling water and leave to simmer with the lid on for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, drain and wash the Kidney Beans then stir into the chilli. Leave to simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove from the heat.
- Serve on a bed of rice.
Suitable to freeze for up to 3 months. Freeze in a ziplock bag, squeezing as much air out as possible. lay flat in the freezer.