Happy Easter friends! What better way to celebrate the arrival of this weekend than cupcakes, am I right?? These Gluten Free Easter Themed Vanilla Cupcakes are truly perfect. The cupcake base is so tender and fluffy and the frosting is so light and creamy.
I don’t think I have ever posted a cupcake recipe topped with buttercream here on Laura’s Gluten Free Kitchen before! I’ve shared a few of my muffin recipes before, like my Gluten Free Cinnamon Banana Bread Muffins or my Gluten Free Double Chocolate Muffins.
So there is no better way to start than with these Gluten Free Easter Themed Vanilla Cupcakes. These are tender and fluffy and topped with creamy vanilla buttercream frosting then topped with Smarties mini eggs and a sprinkle of desiccated coconut! They are perfect for Easter or parties.
In case you are wondering the Smarties mini eggs are gluten free here in Ireland and the UK even though actual smarties contain wheat flour.
Here is a photo that I took after biting into one of these gluten free cupcakes. You can see how perfect the texture is.
How to make the Buttercream Frosting – I have included a recipe here for my original Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. Or if you’re asking if you can use store bought?? Of course, you can.
How to Store Frosted Cupcakes?
Cupcakes are best the same day they’re made but can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 3 days. Unfrosted cupcakes can be kept tightly covered at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw, still covered, on the counter or overnight in the fridge. Frosting can be kept in the fridge, covered, for up to 3 days. Before using, bring to room temperature and whisk until smooth.
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1¼ cups self-raising gluten free flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Frost with store bought frosting or use my recipe I have linked above and under this recipe.
- Top with desiccated coconut and smarties mini eggs.
- For the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas 4.
- Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine oil and sugar.
- Add eggs and beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for one minute. Add flour, salt, baking powder, milk, and vanilla extract, beat at medium speed for one minute.
- Spoon batter evenly into cupcake liners. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the centres spring back when touched and cupcakes are very lightly browned.
- Let cool in the pan on a rack for five minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan onto a rack and cool completely before frosting and adding your toppings.
- Link to Frosting recipe above and below this recipe.