These Homemade Gummy Bears are the perfect treat to make for friends and family.
They are great to make as wee gifts for Easter, Christmas and Valentines, just pop some into little bags and tie the tops and send them to your friends.
I had great fun making these and kids will love to join in but remember no kids in the kitchen during the hot bits.
The kids will love cutting out the shapes with the cutters and dipping them in the sugar. I guarantee you the best part of making these gummy bears is the leftover tidi bits after cutting out the shapes.
- 2½ cups sugar, divided
- 1½ cups Apple Sauce
- 1 pack of jelly. I used Hartley's Orange flavour, Use 2 packs of flavoured gelatin if using.
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Cover a Cookie tray or any tray big enough with parchment paper.
- Combine 2 cups sugar, applesauce, jelly, unflavored gelatin and lemon juice in a large saucepan. Let stand for 1 minute.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly.
- Boil for 1 minute and then immediately pour onto the tray.
- Refrigerate until firm, about three hours should do it. But I left mine in overnight.
- Loosen the sides of the gelatin with a spatula and invert onto cutting board or more parchment paper.
- Use small, sharp cookie cutters to cut out gumdrops. I used teddy bear shapes. It helps to dip the cutters into hot water first.
- Sprinkle sugar over a piece of waxed paper and place gumdrops on top of sugar.
- Let dry for about 8 hours or until slightly sticky.
- Roll in remaining sugar and store in an airtight container.
Wrap each one in a clear baggy tied with some ribbon as a nice little gift.