This flavorful Thai Green Chicken Curry (kaeng khiao wan) is made with a seasoned coconut milk base, fresh veggies, and topped with fresh basil. It makes a perfect winter warm up meal.
Making green curry is so easy and takes only 30 min, and much cheaper than eating out.
Green curry is made with green curry paste. The main ingredient of green curry paste is cilantro root or cilantro stems (not the leaves) and fresh green chilies, hence the name green curry.
While you can always make Thai curry paste from scratch, I am all about buying instant curry paste from the store. You can make very good, authentic and absolutely delicious green curry using store-bought curry paste. The key is to balance the flavors of the curry, it has to be spicy, rich and creamy from the coconut milk, savory from the fish sauce and sweet from the sugar.
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 2 tbsp Green Curry Paste
- 1 14-ounce can Coconut Milk
- 3 Chicken Breasts, chopped into chunks
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 8 Mushrooms, sliced
- 6 Baby Corns, Sliced and chopped
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- A few Basil Leaves for garnish
- In a pan over medium high heat, add Coconut oil, garlic and onion and cook for 1 minute.
- Add Chicken and stir until just colored.
- Add Red pepper, Mushrooms and Corn. Stir until soft.
- Add curry paste, stir and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add coconut milk, fish sauce and sugar and bring to a boil, and simmer for 25 Minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Tear basil leaves using your fingers and add to the curry right before serving.
- Serve with Rice or Rice Noodles.
To freeze, Pour into a ziplock bag making sure no air remains, lay flat in the freezer.