If you are new to making buttercream it is best to start off with a basic buttercream mix.
Here are some tips on making buttercream if your have never made it before or if you want to try new ideas.
For this you will need:
- 100g/4oz Softened Butter
- 200g/8oz Icing Sugar
- Place the softened butter in a mixing bowl and sift the icing sugar over the top.
- Add flavouring (see below) and cream all the ingredients together until smooth.
- Add the mixture to a piping bag and swirl buttercream onto cupcakes.
To make your buttercream more tasty you can add a variety of flavours.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
Banana Butter Icing:
- 50g/2oz Ripe Bananas, mashed
- ½ teasp Vanilla Extract
- ½ teasp Lemon Juice
Chocolate Butter Icing:
- 1 tsp Cocoa or 25g/1oz Melted Chocolate
- 3 drops of Vanilla Extract
Coconut Butter Icing:
- 25g/1oz Desiccated Coconut
Lemon Butter Icing:
- 2 tsp very finely grated Lemon Rind
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
Orange Butter Icing:
- 1 tsp very finely grated Orange Rind
- 2 tsp Orange Juice
- Some Food Coloring (Optional)
Rum Butter Icing:
- 2 tsp Dark Rum
Vanilla Butter Icing:
- 3 drops of Vanilla Essence
Coloured Butter Icing:
- Just add a few drops of food coloring