Gluten Free Lemon Madeira Cake has a firm yet light texture, eaten with tea or for breakfast. It says tea time in a very English and satisfying way.
This looks very good dusted with icing sugar and decorated with a few strands of lemon zest, but I like mine just the way it is.
I just love to sit down relax and have a nice slice of this Madeira with a nice cuppa.
Gluten Free Lemon Madeira Cake
This looks very good dusted with icing sugar and decorated with a few strands of lemon zest
Author: Laura Blaine
- 150g/6oz Butter
- 150g/6oz Caster Sugar
- 4 Eggs, lightly beaten
- 200g/8oz Gluten free plain flour
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- Grated Zest of 1 Lemon, Unwaxed
- Preheat oven to 180*C/165*C fan/Gas 4.
- Prepare a 1 lb loaf tin.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Break the eggs into a mall jug or cup and beat lightly, before adding a little at a time to the mixture.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a separate bowl, then fold gradually into the creamed mixture. Add the lemon zest and mix gently.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 60-70 minutes until firm to the touch or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let it cool for a couple of minutes in the tin, then turn out onto a rack and leave to cool completely.