These Gluten Free Skinny Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins is an easy and healthy breakfast recipe for busy mornings!
I know you all probably think I am obsessed with muffins by now. Or all things made with bananas. And that would be true.
Do you know what else makes me proud? When I make a super delicious muffin healthier! It’s true! I had a bunch of brown bananas sitting on my counter and I was itching to make muffins. I think muffins shake things up a bit at breakfast time.
These banana muffins are the best way to use up those brown bananas on your counter and they’re healthier thanks to a few awesome ingredient swaps!
Here are my simple secret substitutions for lightened up muffins:
Greek Yogurt: Yogurt takes the place of butter in this recipe. It helps to keep the muffins super moist and adds protein to keep you full. I always use plain greek yogurt, it has the least amount of sugar and is similar to sour cream so it’s great for baking.
Honey instead of sugar: Honey also adds moisture to the muffins and since it’s sweeter than sugar you can actually use less of it. There’s only 4 tablespoons in this entire recipe!
- 1 and ½ cups Self Raising Gluten Free flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups mashed bananas (3 medium bananas)
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp soy or almond milk
- ½ cup chocolate chips or you can substitute with chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350*F/180*C/Gas 4 and spray 12 cup standard muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- First, in a bowl whisk dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Then, in a large bowl mash bananas. Next, add honey, oil, vanilla, milk, Greek yogurt and egg, then, mix until well combined and smooth. You can use electric mixer or whisk by hand.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Finally, fold in the chocolate chips or nuts.
- Fill muffin tin with batter almost to the top and bake until a toothpick inserted in the muffin comes out almost clean with a few crumbs attached. It takes about 20-25 minutes.
- Cool the muffins for 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.