This Gluten Free Cajun Chicken & Rice is a great quick and easy weeknight dinner that is packed full of flavour! Chicken, rice, and cajun flavors all come together in this delicious dish. And it’s so quick and easy to get on the table on busy weeknights. Did i mention leftovers make amazing lunches?
It comes together easily in one pot, is gluten-free and dairy-free for a simple and healthier Cajun dinner.
I love dishes like this because you can literally throw in basically any veggies and meats you have on hand to create a delicious meal.
I really wish these photos did this dish justice but they just don’t. You can’t capture all of the flavors and spicy goodness accurately in pictures and believe me, I really really tried. This is one of those times when you really need smell-a-vision.
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 cups water or chicken broth
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Cajun Seasoning
- 1tsp Chili powder
- 1tbsp Minced Garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups diced onions and bell peppers
- 2 tbsp tinned Sweetcorn
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes
- Combine rice with water or broth in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 14 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside when done. Keep covered.
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces, about 1-inch cubes. Season generously with cajun seasoning, chili powder and Garlic.
- Add one tablespoon of the olive oil to a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. When the oil is very hot, add the chicken in a single layer. Brown on one side, about 2-3 minutes, then flip and brown on the other side. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the pan, increase heat to high, and when the oil is hot, carefully add the onions and bell peppers. Add more seasoning and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened and browned.
- Add the tomatoes and corn to the onions and bell peppers, then add the chicken back in, along with any juices that may have collected on the plate. Add the cooked rice and stir until well combined.