Today I have something extra special for you! Today I am sharing my recipe for homemade Nutella! Oh my goodness, who doesn’t love this delicious chocolatey hazelnut spread!? I think I love it best on strawberries but I will admit it is amazing with pretty much anything dessert like. Or by the spoonful…don’t worry…I’m not judging.
Most processed foods contain some pretty yucky ingredients so by making this yourself, you know exactly what you are putting in it with this homemade Nutella and of course you can modify it to make this your own or to fit the needs or preferences of your family!
The recipe is simple. Only 6 ingredients. No artificial garbage or hydrogenated oils. Lightly roasted hazelnuts combined with sweet chocolate. And it actually tastes just as good at the real stuff believe it or not.
The most time consuming part of this recipe is removing the skins of the hazelnuts. I do this by first roasting the nuts and then rubbing skins off by rubbing them with my hands. I recommend doing this in small batches.
- 8 oz Hazelnuts
- ¼ cup unsweetened powdered Cocoa
- ½ cup Powdered Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla
- ¾ teaspoon Vegetable Oil
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Heat oven to 350 F/180 C/Gas 4.
- Place hazelnuts on baking tray and cook in the oven for approximately 15 minutes until the hazelnuts are fragrant.
- Allow hazelnuts to cool to the point that you can touch them.
- Use your hands to rub the skins off the hazelnuts. If you gently take a handful in your hands and rub them together, most of the skins will fall off.
- Place skinned hazelnuts, cocoa, powdered sugar, vanilla, oil and salt into a blender and allow the mixture to blend until it is completely smooth. It will take a little bit for the nuts to completely break down so you may need to scrape the sides of your blender a couple of times until your mixture starts to come together.
- Remember since this is homemade it will be more grainy that the store bought Nutella.