These simple, Gluten Free Shortbread Cherry Bars are just perfect any time of the year.
Have you ever tried making shortbread cookies? It’s kind of tough. The dough is only sugar, butter, and flour and you have to wait for the dough to come together and kneed it. I’ve tried making gluten free shortbread cookies two or three times and the dough just never comes out for me. It’s always way too crumbly and the texture just isn’t right. Then I thought, why not just throw all the ingredients together and press them down in a pan to make bars instead of cookies? Soooo much easier than rolling cookies.
I took some glace cherries. Sliced them into two pieces. I also added a splash of rum to the mixture for an even tastier shortbread. These bars are so good! I love using glace cherries in all sorts of baked goods.
- 250g/9oz Butter, Softened
- ⅔ Cup Caster Sugar
- 2 Egg yolks
- 1tbsp Honey
- 1tbsp Dark Rum
- 2 Cups Gluten Free Plain Flour
- 75g/ 3oz Glace Cherries, Sliced
- Beat the butter with the sugar until it reaches a smooth paste.
- Stir in the egg yolks, honey and the rum.
- Add the flour and mix well.
- Refrigerate for 30 Minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325*F/160*C Fan/Gas 3. Grease and line a 18cm x28cm rectangular tin with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts.
- Press on part down into the tin, this is best done using your hands.
- Scatter the cherries over the top, then press down remaining dough on top.
- Dust with some more sugar and bake for 35 Minutes.
- Leave to cool before removing from the tin.
- Cut into Slices.