Snickerdoodles are often referred to as “Sugar Cookies“. However, traditional sugar cookies are often rolled in white sugar whereas Snickerdoodles are rolled in a mixture of white sugar and cinnamon.
These Snickerdoodles are super soft and buttery, loaded with cinnamon and sugar. Plus, there’s no chilling the dough necessary, so they can be made QUICK!
Snickerdoodles often call for Cream Of Tarter. Its not easy to find and honestly something we do not have on hand often. All the cream of tarter does is give the cookie a crackle look on top. For this recipe I did not use it. Without it just use Baking Powder, you just will not get the crackle look.
I think this recipe makes for a great Christmas cookie. Who doesn’t love the smell and taste of cinnamon at Christmas Time?
- 1.1/2cups Plain Gluten Free flour
- ½ tsp Gluten free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- For the coating:
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375F/180 Fan/Gas Mark 4.
- Line a cookie tray with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Place the butter and both sugars in a bowl and cream together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract, and mix until combined, about another minute.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until the dough comes together.
- For the coating -- in a small bowl, whisk to combine the sugar and cinnamon.
- Scoop the cookie dough Tablespoon scoop and roll it into a ball, drop into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Roll around well to coat, then place on the baking sheet.
- When the dough is all scooped out, use a glass to flatten each ball into a disk about ¼" thick. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden and crisp on the edges. Let the cookies cool on the pan.