Prepare your sweet tooth for a hit of golden syrup goodness.
This gorgeous cake is simply delicious. Its a rich, moist cake drenched with the wonderful flavor of golden syrup.
It is beautifully moist and sweet without any icing and it goes wonderfully with a cup of tea.
- 150g/5oz Gluten free self raising flour
- 150g/5oz Caster Sugar
- 150g/5oz Margarine at room temperature
- 3 eggs
- 100g/4oz Lyles Golden Syrup, plus 3tbsp to drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 160*C/325*F/Gas 3.
- Grease a 8in cake tin and line it with baking parchment.
- Place the sugar and margarine in a mixing bowl and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and the golden syrup and mix well.
- Fold in the flour until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon into the tin and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in tin for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining golden syrup in a small pan until very runny.
- Make holes all over the top of the cake with a skewer or a cocktail stick and pour over the syrup.
- Leave the cake to cool completely in the tin, then turn out.