Gluten free Red Velvet Chocolate-Swirled Brownies
Biting into one you get that velvety silkiness. They are not called red velvet for nothing.
Author: Laura Blaine
Serves: 8 Squares
- ½ cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1tbsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 6 Drops Red Food Coloring, or as needed
- ¾ cup Gluten free plain flour
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180*C. Line an 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl melt the butter, about 1 minute on high power.
- Wait a few minutes before adding the egg so you don't scramble it. Add the egg, brown sugar, vanilla, and mix until smooth.
- Add the cocoa and mix until all is combined.
- Add the red food coloring and mix. I used 6 drops of red food coloring. Use any type of food coloring you like, you'll need a lot of it because it takes a lot to turn a chocolaty batter red. Don't be afraid to keep adding until desired shade is achieved.
- Add the flour, and stir until just combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly, set aside.
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl melt the chocolate chips, about 1 minute on high power.
- Drizzle the chocolate over the pan and swirl lightly with the tip of a table knife or a toothpick.
- Bake for about 28 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for at least 30 minutes before slicing.