To stop a skin forming on your finished custard place plastic wrap directly on top.
- 8 Egg yolks
- 75g/3oz Caster sugar
- 1 Vanilla pod or 1tsp Vanila extract
- 300ml full fat milk
- 300ml Double cream
- Place the egg yolks and the sugar in a bowl and beat until they are thick and pale.
- Split the vanilla pod in half and, using the wrong end of a teaspoon, scrape the insides into the milk and cream in a saucepan, or stir in the vanilla extract. Bring the mixture to the boil over low heat.
- Whisk the milk and cream mixture into the bowl with the eggs and sugar.
- Sit the bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk the hot cream and milk into it. Do not overheat or boil the custard or the eggs will scramble. Keep stirring all the time until the custard leaves a thin coating on a wooden spoon – run your finger across the back of the spoon and it should leave a clear trail.
- Sieve the custard into a jug or bowl. Serve immediately or cover and leave to cool.